Dr. Manyak’s publications from 2004 through 2013
2010 to 2013
Manyak MJ: Health in the final frontier. Explorers J 88 (1): 54-55, 2010.
Manyak MJ: Be calm under pressure. Explorers J 88 (2): 54-55, 2010.
Manyak MJ: Avoiding personal extinction. Explorers J 88 (3): 54-55, 2010.
Manyak MJ: Relic diseases in the dust. Explorers J 88 (4): 54-55, 2010.
Manyak MJ: Sweating it out. Explorers J 89 (1): 54-55, 2011.
Manyak MJ: Air safety: surviving a plane crash. Explorers J 89 (2): 56-57, 2011.
Manyak MJ. Toxic dragon spit….and other medical emergencies. Explorers J 89 (3): 54-55, 2011.
Manyak MJ. Hot stuff. Treating burns in the field. Explorers J 89 (4): 56-57, 2011.
Manyak, MJ. An aye for an eye. Preserving your sight on site. Explorers J 90 (1): 55-56, 2012.
Manyak, MJ. Head games. Protecting your most valuable asset. Explorers J 90 (2): 56-57, 2012.
Manyak MJ. At the ready. Mindful expedition preparation. Explorers J 90 (3): 56-57, 2012.
Manyak MJ. Lightning strikes twice. Surviving a violent storm. Explorers J 90 (4): 56-57, 2012.
Grubb R, Andriole GL, Somerville MC, Mahoney CP, Manyak MJ, Castrosantamaria R: The REDUCE Follow-up Study: Low rate of new prostate cancer diagnoses observed during a 2-year, observational, follow-up study of men who participated in the REDUCE (REduction by DUasteride of prostate Cancer Events) trial. J Urol (in press).
1998 to 2009
44. Gee WF, Holtgrewe HL, Albertsen PC, Cooper TP, Fenninger RB, Litwin MS, Manyak MJ, Meyer JJ, Miles BJ, O’Leary MP, Painter MR, Rohner TJ, Thomas R, Blizzard RT, Emmons L: Subspecialization, recruitment, and retirement trends of American urologists. J Urol 159: 509-511, 1998.
45. Sarosdy MF, Manyak MJ, Sagalowsky AI, Belldegrun A, Benson MC, Bihrle W, Carroll PC, Ellis WJ, Hudson MA, Sharkey FE: Oral bropirimine immunotherapy of bladder carcinoma in situ after prior intravesical bacille Calmette-Guerin. Urology 51; 226-231, 1998.
46. Heller KN, Manyak MJ, Tabbara SO, Kerr LA: Malignant osteoclast-like giant cell tumor of the kidney. Urology 51: 495-498, 1998.
47. Manyak, MJ: Clinical Overview and AUA Perspective: Assessing the New Technology. In: Prostate Disease. Evolution in Technology and Its Impact on Treatment. Kaplan SA (ed). Monograph for Continuing Medical Education, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University: 1-5, 1998.
48. Manyak MJ, Javitt MC: The role of computerized tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, bone scan, and monoclonal antibody nuclear scan for prognosis prediction in prostate cancer. Sem Urol Oncol 16: 145-152, 1998.
49. Kahn D, Williams RD, Manyak MJ, Haseman MK,Seldin DW, Libertino JA, Maguire RT: 111 In- capromab pendetide in the evaluation of patients with residual or recurrent prostate cancer following radical prostatectomy. J Urol 159: 2041-2047, 1998.
50. Manyak MJ: Clinical applications of radioimmunoscintigraphy with prostate specific antibodies for prostate cancer. Cancer Control 5: 493-499, 1998.
51. Polascik TJ, Manyak MJ, Haseman MK, Gurganus RT, Rogers B, Maguire RT, Partin AW: Comparison of clinical staging algorithms and In-capromab pendetide immunoscintigraphy to predict lymph node involvement in high-risk prostate cancer patients. Cancer 85: 1586-1592, 1999.
52. Manyak MJ, Hinkle GH, Chiacchierini RP, Piantadosi S, Partin AW, Olsen J, Burgers JK, Texter JH Jr., Neal CE, Maguire RT: Immunoscintigraphy with 111 In-capromab pendetide: evaluation before definitive therapy in patients with prostate cancer. Urology 54: 1058-1063, 1999.
53. Manyak MJ: Expedition medicine: are you prepared? Explorers Journal 77: 6-7, 1999.
54. Manyak MJ: Capromab pendetide immunoscintigraphy: connecting the dots for prostate cancer imaging. Cancer Biother and Radiopharm 15: 127-130, 2000.
55. Attiga FA, Fernandez PM, Weeraratna A, Manyak MJ, Patierno SR: Inhibitors of prostaglandin synthesis inhibit human prostgate tumor cell invasiveness and reduce the release of matrix metalloproteinases. Cancer Research 60: 4629-4637, 2000.
56. Ackerman SJ, Rein AL, Blute ML, Buesterien K, Sullivan EM, Tanio CP, Manyak MJ, Strauss MJ: Cost-effectiveness of microwave thermotherapy in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia : part I – methods. Urology 56: 972-980, 2000.
57. Blute ML, Ackerman SJ, Rein AL, Buesterien K, Sullivan EM, Tanio CP, Strauss MJ, Manyak MJ: Cost-effectiveness of microwave thermotherapy in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia : part II – results. Urology 56: 981-987, 2000.
58. Debruyne FMJ, Djavan B, De La Rosette J, Desgrandechamps F, Fourcade R, Gibbon R, Kaplan S, Hartung R, Krane R, Manyak MJ, Mebust W, Muschter R, Murai M, Schulman CC, Sedelaar JPM, Stein BS, Teillac P, Zlotta A: Interventional therapy for benign prostatic hypertrophy. Proceedings of the 5th International Consultation on Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) 5: 397-422, 2000 .
59. Rosenblatt GS, Schneidau TA, Walsh CJ, Manyak MJ: Anastomotic calculus formation after side-to- side ureteroureterostomy in complete ureteral duplication. J Urol 164:1644-1645, 2000.
60. Manyak MJ: RMS Titanic scientific and medical expedition 2000. BAUS Today 2: 42-43, 2001.
61. Manyak MJ, Macedonia CR, Morley DT: Science and medicine on the high seas. Explorers Journal 79 (1): 24-25, 2001.
62. Manyak MJ: Solving enigma of prostate cancer takes varied paths. Editorial. Urology Times 29 (5): 2, 2001.
63. Attiga FA, Fernandez PM, Weeraratna AT, Manyak MJ, Patierno SR: Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis inhibits human prostate tumor cell invasiveness and reduces the release of matrix metalloproteinases. Cancer Res 60: 4629-4637, 2001.
64. Chou DS, Manyak MJ: The enigma of prostatitis. ADVANCE for Nurse Prac 9: 63-70, 2001.
65. Poulakis V, Witzsch U, De Vries R, Altmannsberger HM, Manyak MJ, Becht E: A comparison of urinary nuclear matrix protein 22 and bladder tumour antigen tests with voided urinary cytology in detecting and following bladder cancer: the prognostic value of false-positive results. Br J Urol Int 88: 692-701, 2001.
66. Manyak MJ: Medicine for the outdoors: the essential guide to emergency medical procedures and first aid. Book review. Explorers Journal 79 (3): 39, 2002.
67. Manyak MJ, Ackerman SJ, Blute ML, Rein AL, Buesterien K, Sullivan EM, Tanio CP, Strauss MJ: Cost effectiveness of treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia: an economic model for comparison of medical, minimally-invasive, and surgical therapy. J Endourol 16: 51-56, 2002.
68. Manyak MJ, Santangelo K, Hahn J, Kaufman R, Carleton T, Hua X C, Walsh RJ: Virtual reality surgical simulation for lower urinary tract endoscopy and procedures. J Endourol 16: 185-190, 2002.
69. Szlyk GR, Rosenblatt GS, Manyak MJ: Current perspectives of imaging in diagnosis and managment of bladder malignancy in women. J Womens Imaging 4: 58-65, 2002.
70. Patierno SR, Manyak MJ, Fernandez PM, Baker A, Weeraratna AT, Chou DS, Szlyk GR, Geib KS, Walsh CJ, Pattaras JG. Uteroglobin: a potential novel tumor suppressor and molecular therapeutic for prostrate cancer. Clin Prostate CA 1: 118-124, 2002.
71. Nasir A, Copeland J, Gillespie JW, Chugtai OR, Andrawis RO, Manyak MJ: Pre-neoplastic lesions of the prostate – clinical, pathologic and molecular biological aspects. In Vivo: 16(6): 557-66, 2002.
72. Hahn JK, Manyak MJ, Jin G, Kim D, Rewcastle J, Kim S, Walsh RJ: Cryotherapy simulator for localized prostate cancer. Stud Health Technol Inform: 85: 173-8, 2002.
73. Manyak MJ: Down, down to the Titanic. Notre Dame Magazine 31: 44-46, 2003.
74. Manyak MJ, Warner JW: An update on laser use in urology. Contemporary Urol 15: 13-28, 2003.
75. Manyak MJ, Ogan K: Photodynamic therapy for refractive bladder cancer: long term outcomes of single treatment using diffusion medium. J Endourol 18: 633-639, 2003.
76. Manyak MJ, Santangelo K, Hahn JK, Kaufman R, Carleton T, Hua XC, Walsh RJ: Virtual reality surgical simulation for lower urinary tract endourologic surgery. Adv Exp Med Biol 539 (Pt. B): 841-52, 2003.
77. Chou DS, Andrawis R, Rhee J, Soofer S, Sidawy MK, Manyak MJ: Case report of benign testicular tumor. J Urol 171: 1624-, 2004.
78. Manyak MJ: Expedition medicine: taking the risk out of adventure. Royal College of Surgeons of Scotland. Surgeons News 3.1, 2004.
79. Lugassy C, Warner JW, Le CQ, Manyak MJ, Patierno SR, Barnhill RL: Pericytic angiotropism of GFP human prostate cancer cells: in vitro and in vivo studies of extravascular migratory metastasis. Br J Urol 95: 1099-1103, 2005.
80. Manyak MJ, Gladkova ND, Makari JH, Schwartz AS, Zagaynova EV, Zolfaghari L, Zara JM, Iksanov R, Feldchtein FI: Evaluation of superficial bladder transitional cell carcinoma by optical coherence tomography J Endourol 19: 570-574, 2005.
81. Williams SB, Szlyk GR, Manyak MJ: Metastatic malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the kidney. Int J Urol 13: 74-75, 2006.
82. Manyak MJ, Javitt MC, Kang PS, Kreuger WR, Storm ES: The evolution of imaging in advanced prostate cancer. Urol Clin North America 33: 133-146, 2006.
83.Haseman MK, Kipper SL, Resenthal SA, Trout JR, Manyak MJ: Central abdominal uptake of IN-111 capromab pendetide (ProstaScint) predicts poor prognosis for patients with prostate cancer. Urology 70: 303-308, 2007.
84. Manyak MJ: Rest insured. The Explorers J 85 (3): 56-57, 2007.
85. Manyak MJ: The emergence of imaging technology in advanced prostate cancer. Can J Urol 14 (supp): 32-38, 2007.
86. Manyak MJ: Ankle biters and other expeditionary risks: caring for wounds in the field. Explorers J 85 (4): 54-55, 2007.
87. Manyak MJ: 111-Indium capromab pendetide in the management of recurrent prostate cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Therapy 8: 175-181, 2008.
88. Manyak MJ: Ether anyone? Staying well on the high seas. Explorers J 86 (1): 54-55, 2008.
89. Longley-Papadopoulos CA, Loew MH, Manyak MJ, Zara JM: Computer recognition of cancer in the urinary bladder using optical coherence tomography and texture analysis. J Biomed Optics 13: 24003 (1-9), 2008.
90. Manyak MJ: Dr. No Teeth: bush dentists and other hazards of exploration. Explorers J 86 (2): 54-55, 2008.
91. Manyak MJ: Bite me! Vipers, cobras, mambas, and more. Explorers J 86 (3): 54-55, 2008.
92. Manyak MJ: Avalanche! Surviving snow burial. Explorers J 86 (4): 54-55, 2008.
93. Manyak MJ: Fungus among us: delectable or deadly? Explorers J 87 (1): 53-55, 2009.
94. Patierno SR, Madhu L, Manyak MJ: Treatment of oral mucositis with supersaturated calcium phosphate: does it promote wound healing? Submitted for publication.
95. Manyak MJ: A day at the beach. Poisonous marine creatures and other hazards of summer. Explorers J 87 (2): 54-55, 2009.
1992 to 1997
18. Manyak MJ: PDT for superficial bladder cancer: aspects of light distribution. Urology Times 20 (1): 7-10, 1992.
19. Manyak MJ: Photodynamic therapy: principles and practices in urology. Problems in Urology 6: 399-413, 1992.
20. Manyak MJ: Pharmacologic treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Phys Asst J 16: 103-107,1992.
21. Ochadlik MN, Karmi SA, Manyak MJ, Miller HC: Clinical uroradiology conference: a seventy-eight year old man with flank pain. Urology 39: 569-572, 1992.
22. Manyak MJ: The light at the end of the tunnel: one view of laparoscopic future. Sem Urol 10(4): 205-212, 1992.
23. Manyak MJ: Photodynamic therapy for superficial bladder carcinoma. Current Opinion in Urology 3: 220-229, 1993.
24. Salem Y, Pagliaro LC, Manyak MJ: Primary small non-cleaved cell lymphoma of the kidney. Urology 42: 331-335, 1993.
25. Manyak MJ: Urological applications of laser technology. Proceedings Laser Electro Optical Society (IEEE) 1993: 242-243, 1993.
26. Leyton J, Manyak MJ, Mukherjee AB, Miele L, Mantile G, Patierno SR: Recombinant human uteroglobin inhibits the in vitro invasiveness of human metastatic prostate tumor cells and the release of arachidonic acid stimulated by fibroblast-conditioned medium. Cancer Res 54: 3696-3699, 1994.
27. Manyak MJ: The clinical relevance of gene therapy. This week in Investigative Urology. J Urol 152: 292-293, 1994.
28. Greifer I, Diamond LH, Jacobson H, Knox F, Manyak MJ, Marver DH, Menon M, O’Brien Jackson ML: Proposal to establish a national institute of kidney and urological diseases. Report of the National Kidney and Urological Diseases Advisory Board. J Urol 152: 485-490, 1994.
29. Manyak MJ: Photodynamic therapy for urologic malignancies. AUA Update 12: 94-104, 1995.
30. Manyak MJ, Aulisi GP: Free beam and contact laser ablation of benign prostatic hyperplasia with the KTP/Nd:YAG laser: efficacy and versatility. World J Urol 13: 104-108, 1995.
31. Gee WF, Holtgrewe HL, Albertsen PC, Litwin M, Manyak MJ, O’Leary MP, Painter MR: Practice trends in the diagnosis and management of benign prostatic hyperplasia in the United States. J Urol 154: 205-206, 1995.
32. Gee WF, Holtgrewe HL, Albertsen PC, Litwin M, Manyak MJ, O’Leary MP, Painter MR: Practice trends in the diagnosis and management of prostate cancer in the United States. J Urol 154: 207-208, 1995.
33. Manyak MJ: The practical aspects of photodynamic therapy for superficial bladder cancer. Techniques Urol 1: 84-93, 1995.
34. Manyak MJ: An evolving approach to the surgical management of superficial bladder carcinoma. Surg Technol Internat 4: 271-282, 1995.
35. Manyak MJ: Bladder cancer: the good, the bad, and the ugly. J Urol 155: 103-104, 1996.
36. Manyak MJ: Local recurrence of prostate cancer: dilemma for physician and patient. Family Urol: 10-18, Spring 1996.
37. Gee WF, Holtgrewe HL, Albertsen PC, Litwin MS, Manyak MJ, O’Leary MP, Painter MR, Blizzard RT, Fenninger RB, Emmons L: Practice trends of American urologists in the treatment of impotence, incontinence, and infertility. J Urol 156: 1778-1780, 1996.
38. Strauss MJ, Khanna V, Koenig JD, Downs SM, Goldberg SH, Manyak MJ, Patsner B: The cost of treating genital warts. Int J Derm 35: 346-348, 1996.
39. Manyak MJ: Advances in imaging prostate cancer. Advances in Prostate Cancer Monographs1 (3): 5-7, 1997.
40. Gomella LG, Meguid-Abdel TA, Lotfi MA, Hirsch IH, Albala DM, Manyak MJ, Kozminski M, Sosa RE, Stone NN: Laparoscopic urologic surgery: continued improvement in outcome. J Laparos Surg 7: 77- 86, 1997.
41. Weeraratna AT, Cajigas JA, Schwartz AJ, Enquist EG, Manyak MJ, Patierno SR: Loss of uteroglobin expression in prostate cancer: relationship to advancing grade. Clin Cancer Res 3: 2295-2300, 1997.
42. Chiacchierini RP, Piantadosi S, Partin AW, Burgers JK, Libertino JA, Texter JH, Manyak MJ, Maguire RT: Logistic regression analysis combining serum PSA, Gleason score and monoclonal antibody scan (ProstaScint) to predict lymph nodal involvement in prostate cancer. J Urol 157: 205, 1997.
43. Bruskewitz RC, Fourcade R, Koshiba K, Manyak MJ, Pisani E, Resel Estez L, Vincente Rodriguez J: Interventional therapy: surgery. Proceedings of the 4th International Consultation on Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) 4: 523-528, 1997.
1979 to 1991
1. Manyak MJ: Cancer incidence in the United States and the Philippines. Phil J Int Med 17(2): 104-111, 1979. Asian Med J, April 1979.
2. Manyak MJ, Frensilli FJ, Miller HC: 2,8 – Dihydroxyadenine urolithiasis: report of an adult case in the United States. J Urol 137: 312-314, 1987.
3. Manyak MJ, Harrington FJ, Glatstein E: A cystoscope holder/surgical retractor that really works. J Urol 138: 105-106, 1987.
4. Manyak MJ, Matthews DM, Smith PD, Nochomovitz LE, Glatstein E, Russo A: Response of normal canine ureter to photodynamic therapy using a cylindrical fiber. J Urol 139: 199-203, 1988.
5. Manyak MJ, Russo A, Glatstein E: Photodynamic therapy. J Clin Oncology 6 (2): 380-391, 1988.
6. Manyak MJ, Smith PD, Harrington FS, Steinberg SM, Glatstein E, Russo A: Protection against dihematoporphyrin ether photosensitivity. Photochem Photobiol 47(6): 823-830, 1988.
7. Manyak MJ, Matthews DM, Smith PD, Nochomovitz LE, Russo A: Photodynamic therapy: response of normal canine urethra using a cylindrical fiber. Lasers Surg Med 8 (3): 301-307, 1988.
8. Manyak MJ, Kikukawa T, Mukherjee AB: Expression of uteroglobin-like protein in human prostate. J Urol 140: 176-182, 1988.
9. Manyak MJ, Nelson LM, Solomon D, Thomas G, Russo A, Stillman RJ: Photodynamic therapy of rabbit endometrial transplants: a model for treatment of endometriosis. Fertil Steril 52: 140-145, 1989.
10. Manyak MJ: Photodynamic therapy: present concepts and future applications. The Cancer Journal 3 (2): 104-109, 1990.
11. Manyak MJ, Nelson LM, Solomon D, DeGraff W, Stillman RJ, Russo A: Fluorescent detection of rabbit endometrial implants resulting from monodispersed viable cell suspensions. Fertil Steril 54: 356-359, 1990.
12. Tochner Z, Mitchell JB, Hoekstra HJ, Smith PD, DeLuca AM, Barnes M, Harrington FS, Manyak MJ, Russo D, Russo A: Photodynamic therapy of the canine peritoneum: normal tissue response to IP and IV Photofrin followed by 630 nm light. Lasers Surg Med 11: 158-164, 1991.
13. Manyak MJ: Benign enlargement of the prostate (BPH): what it is . . . what can be done about it. Retirement Life: 44-46, May 1991.
14. Manyak MJ: Photodynamic therapy: principles and urological applications. In: Laser Use in Urology (Manyak MJ ed). Sem Urol 9 (3): 192-202, 1991.
15. Selman SR, Manyak MJ: Future use of lasers in urology. In: Laser Use in Urology (Manyak MJ ed). Sem Urol 9 (3): 210-213, 1991.
16. Manyak MJ: Treatment options for prostate problems. Retirement Life: 22-23, June 1991.
17. Manyak MJ: Pharmacologic treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Drug Therapy : 44-52, Dec.1991.